By January 14, 2014 Read More →

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Louisiana

Reader’s Question:

What does uninsured insurance motorist coverage pay for in the state of Louisiana?


Baton Rouge, LA

In Louisiana, the law requires that all motorists must have automotive liability coverage for each vehicle that they own. This automotive insurance covers the property damages or bodily injuries that the person may be held legally responsible for – but only up to the limit specifically stated in the policy. The liability coverage required by the state law is 10/20/10. An amount of $10,000 will be paid for the bodily injuries of one person, $20,000 for two or more persons (in a single accident), and $10,000 for property or vehicle damages caused to the other party. Beyond this minimum limit, the state law requires no further coverage for the motorist.

Uninsured or underinsured motorists insurance is one of the optional coverages that you may add to your automotive insurance policy. The uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is useful when you get hit by a vehicle and the driver has either no insurance or just little insurance that is not enough to cover the full amount of your injury expenses. In this case, your uninsured/underinsured policy coverage will be used to handle the expenses for the bodily injuries caused by the accident to you or to the occupants of your vehicle. In the case of hit-and-run drivers, they are classified as uninsured motorists only if there are no interested witnesses who want to cooperate. If you plan to get this coverage, you may try to consider the uninsured motorist economic only coverage. This option also covers the bodily injuries caused by an accident involving an uninsured motorist, however it only pays for the actual amount of the injuries.

There is also an uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage that covers property damage. This coverage provides for the repair of your vehicle once you get in an accident involving an uninsured driver. Under this coverage, a $250 deductible is applied and either $10,000 (the limit set for the recovery of the vehicle) or the actual cash value of the vehicle is covered by the insurance (whichever is less).

Posted in: SR22 Certificate

Comments are closed.